Saturday, December 01, 2007

Sunday Scribblings-Walking

Funny this was the Sunday Scribblings today.

My family and I took my favorite walk of the year today. We went to a Christmas tree farm and cut down our own tree.

We started this tradition about six years ago, the Christmas after we got married. Jon is Jewish so he never had a tree growing up. When I told him that I was going to head to the local tree stand to purchase, he went online and found a farm.

Every year since then, we've headed to the surrounding areas to cut down our tree. Some farms have hay-rides to the fields (as this one did today), most have little shops where they sell homemade pies, cider and Christmas tree ornaments. The place we went today even had a train ride through the property. Jack had such a great time. It just puts me so much into the Christmas spirit.

Running through the rows of trees, Jack looked at every tree. Can we have this one, Mommy? This one? We finally picked our tree. It was a small one. We usually get two trees. One small one for the den and a big one for the dining room.

Jack and Jon grabbed a saw and T-I-M-B-E-R down it went.

This week, Jack and I will make ornaments for it. Heck, we might even string popcorn!

It's beginning to look alot like Christmas! Now, if only it would drop below 80 degrees!!


9 comments:

Rob Kistner said...

Great post. great pics, great tradition... one I started when my children, all now grown, were still very young -- and one they each now carry on in their adult life.

I enjoyed reading this!

Preethi said...

lovely.. what a nice tradition in the times of synthetic pre-light trees!!you have a nice space here... good read!

paisley said...

what a wonderful holiday tradition...

Tumblewords: said...

Great tradition! That's the season sharing that sticks forever!

Laura said...

You are one of those good old fashioned family Christmas folks..I love it.

Dad 2 eight said...

Bink:
One of my favorite scenes in any movie is the Griswold family's (Chevy Chase) search for the perfect tree... and the hilarity that ensues. Somehow, we never began such a tradition, though in retrospect, I somehow regret it. Just think of all the stories we could tell at family reunions. Oh well, I will just have to enjoy yours.

DAD

Amy Jo said...

What a beautiful family you have! I know that the tree tradition will bring you guys many wonderful memories. It is so great to start such a tradition while the kids are young. You will be so happy that you did. I am sure that the tree will be beautiful...you just will not be able to put any ornaments on the bottom half. Eva will have them off in two seconds!

Anonymous said...

Hey darling,

did you get Pancake?

Love, E.--

Unknown said...

What fun!!! It was 70 here today!! GRRRR